Position: Fundraising and Communications Intern
Description: Step Up Savannah seeks a dynamic, self-starter to assist with fundraising and communications efforts. This internship is an excellent opportunity to experience various aspects of marketing while working for well-known community based nonprofit organization.
- Assist with Step Up’s social media presence, including scheduling updates
- Draft, distribute and pitch news releases, media alerts, and other stories
- Collaborating with staff on new ideas, directions, and venues for marketing and communications
- Updating Step Up’s Working Families Network directory
- Interview social service agencies that participate in Step Up’s Working Families Network
- Interview past graduates of the Neighborhood Leadership Academy
- Write client stories for marketing efforts
- Supporting creation and dissemination of Step Up’s annual appeal
- Maintaining donor and grant databases and files, including calendaring deadlines, logging donations, generating and sending donor acknowledgments, logging donor appreciation efforts
- Assisting staff with grant application writing and tracking
- Supporting staff with logistics associated with special events, including assisting with creation of invitation list, all logistics, soliciting sponsors, communicating with venue and vendors
- Firm grasp of available tools and platforms in the social media space
- Completed or working toward a college degree, preferably in a related field (e.g., English, Marketing/Communications, Public Administration, or Public Relations)
- Previous internship or related experience in marketing or communications is a plus
- Must be computer literate (working knowledge of word processing, PowerPoint, Excel).
- Proficiency in Adobe InDesign and Photoshop a plus
- An effective communicator, both written and oral
- Ability to communicate in a professional manner with press and community contacts
- Self-motivated, good organizational skills, detail-oriented, ability to prioritize, multi-task and meet deadlines
- Possess an interest in a nonprofit career ‐ particularly development and fundraising
- Enthusiasm for the mission of Step Up Savannah
Start Date: Position open until filled, requires 3 – 6 month commitment. Hours: 8 – 12 hours/week, preferably twice a week in the office. Up to 4 hours can be completed at home.
Compensation: This is an unpaid position. There is opportunity for school credit if allowed by the college/university of applicant. Position offers an excellent opportunity to work on substantive projects and can result in a great reference.
To apply: E‐mail cover letter, resume, and writing sample to Director of Development & Communications – Kate Blair firstname.lastname@example.org with a Re: line of “Application for Development Intern”
Step Up Savannah is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, age, national
Step Up Savannah, Inc. engages all sectors of the community to improve the economic mobility and financial stability of families in Savannah, Chatham County. To learn more, visit the website www.stepupsavannah.org or follow us on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram @stepupsavannah