Chatham Apprentice Program
The Chatham Apprentice Program helps unemployed and under-employed Chatham County residents find or create career paths that offer decent wages and opportunities for advancement.
Formerly known as the Construction Apprentice Program, CAP assists adults in developing skills to compete in the job market, secure employment, and learn to become more self-sufficient. CAP is a collaboration among Chatham County, Step Up Savannah, and community-based organizations; it is funded by Chatham County.
The most recent CAP classes are part of a newly designed program called “E3” for Educate, Empower, Employ. E3 is a collaboration among many community organizations and area employers that focuses on enhancing job skills training and job placement.
Elements of the program:
- Competitive and rigorous application process, including basic skills assessment, background check and drug screening
- Intensive four-week training program, (20 hours/week) that includes individual, computer-based learning, facilitated group work covering topics such as effective communication, interview skills, conflict resolution and professionalism
- Additional supports provided through the class include one-on-one coaching, development of individual employment and education plans, financial education, counseling services, and other work supports including assistance with work clothing, resume design and others.
- After completion of the program, participants continue to receive one-on-one coaching support including assistance in pursuing further training and education and job placement for up to 6 months.
- Chatham County residents
- Adults 18 and older, men and women
- Unemployed or underemployed and desiring employment
- Low income
- Face barriers to employment; e.g., spotty work history, low educational and basic skill levels, criminal history
- No pending legal issue that could interfere with commitment to a job
Classes are held at different community-based centers, depending upon availability.
Attend an info session on December 2nd at 1:30pm or December 9th at 9am at the Department of Labor (5520 White Bluff Road) for our upcoming Jockey Truck Training class. Call 401-0672 to reserve your spot.
|Department of Labor||January 9th to February 2nd||Jockey Truck Flyer|
Download the Goodwill Donation Card – Take this card with you when you drop off your donations to Goodwill and CAP will receive vouchers for our participants.
For more information:
Call the CAP office at 912-401-0672 or email Isaac Felton, program manager, at or Talisha Crooks, program coordinator, at .
Housing Authority of Savannah
Moses Jackson Advancement Center
West Broad Street Y
St. Mary’s Community Center
Goodwill of The Coastal Empire
Savannah Technical College